Tuesday, October 7, 2008

How is it going, now that my "Adult Child" doesn't live with me anymore...

Something that is "gone" out of my life...and I want to blog about this right now.

There is so much "fire energy" moving in me. This is not good, bad or not to be judged. It is something that I haven't allowed my self to move in this body of mine and I am experiencing lots lately. And clearly, this is all about me, for me to own, and not about anyone else, son, husband, family, no one else but for me!

I am moving away from my "adult child" from leaving in my home. And now, how wonderful for him as he is moving on in his own life, the way he chooses to do so.

He loves the magazine, "The Hockey News" and a subscription that my mother and one of my brother's give to him each year. I have been transferring the magazine subscription each move he has been making since we left Halifax two years ago.

Something has changed in me. This time when he went off to school I sent a email about the subscription to him. The email went like this, here is the 1-800 number to transfer the subscription to your new house. If you want me to phone this number for you I will, if you want to do this, then great.

That was it. I didn't mention nor prod nor re-visit if he had contacted "The Hockey News"
and it has been over a month, and no more "Hockey News" coming to my house.

This is so insightful for me. He doesn't need me as a "mother" because that relationship means that one person is mother and the other is child. He is all grown up now, an adult, willing to participate in his own journey. Sometimes, we, as parents, think we know what is best for our child. Never allowing them to listen to there own SELF.

Somehow, we also believe as parents is that they are going to "streamline" their way through this part of their life. Life is all about ebb and flow, and society judges the ones that want to ponder, get off for awhile, or choose to take a different path - yes, many times students have one or two credits to finish before they get there degree and decide to not finish. Or some decide to travel and the "family" insists that "they get something under their belt before they do this". And some decide that they want to stay at home and not move out. Each one is an individual on their own journey.

No, I believe that I am still active in my son's life and very different now. He and I need the friendship; as too my husband needs to be part of this "friendship". I know that life is very different now that my son had the choice to go to New Zealand this summer. It again, changed his life...CHOICE...what do you give yourself? Today, just allow yourself to think about the different choices that you "allow" yourself to have. And think about the choices you don't allow yourself to have. You may find yourself bumping up against something that you "habitually" do and believe it is something you are consciously choosing for you, and are you?

trust yourself
wow, a huge sigh has come out of my body....

No comments: